Link2Let is a leading provider of mid market rent and market rent homes throughout Central Scotland.
This section includes information on mid market rent, eligibility criteria, and how to apply for a mid market rent property.
Mid market rent (or MMR) is an initiative from the Scottish Government to provide quality, affordable homes for low to moderate income households.
MMR tenants are typically those who would not qualify for social housing but cannot afford to pay market rent or buy a property.
Do I qualify for mid market rent?
To qualify for MMR, your (gross) annual income should not exceed £27,953 per household for single applications or £45,836 for joint applications. For properties in Edinburgh, your household income should not exceed £45,443 per annum.
All adults who will be residing in the property must provide proof of their income, regardless of whether they will be on the tenancy agreement or not. Applicants with family members living in the property, who are not their spouse (for example a child of working age or elderly relative), are only required to provide proof of their income if they are going to be named on the tenancy as a joint tenant.
As part of the application process, you will be required to provide your most recent three months’ bank statements and payslips. These will be used to carry out an affordability assessment, comparing the monthly rent for the property to your monthly income. Please note: your application may be affected if your bank statements show evidence of returned or missed payments, unauthorised overdraft usage, debt management programmes, or use of short-term ‘pay-day’ or high interest lending.
The monthly rent must not exceed 45% of your (net) monthly household income. A credit check is carried out once your application has been approved.
How to apply for a mid market rent property
If you would like to be considered for one of our MMR properties, follow the steps below:
1. Complete the online application form and send supporting documents
The first step is to complete the online application form, which can be found by clicking ‘Apply for Mid-Market Rent property’ in the blue box at the top right-hand side of the property advert. See here for our list of available properties.
To support your application, you are required to provide:
- A copy of your photographic ID (passport or driving licence)
- Your most recent 3 months’ bank statements
- Your most recent 3 months’ payslips
- Your most recent award notice for any benefit payments including Universal Credit, Working Tax Credit and Personal Independence Payment
Your supporting documents can be uploaded with the application form or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We must receive a completed application form and all supporting documents before we can assess your application and invite you to view the property. A delay in receiving your supporting documents may result in your application not being assessed.
2. Book a viewing
When your application form and supporting documents have been assessed, our team will be in touch to invite you to view the property.
Application assessments can take up to 15 working days.
If you are interested in our MMR properties and would like to be updated when new properties become available, join our mailing list.
If you are registered on our mailing list, you will be notified when a property becomes available in your area(s) of choice the day before it is advertised on Zoopla, CityLets, S1 Homes and LettingWeb.
We don't currently have any properties available to apply for.
Click below to view our upcoming developments and register your interest:
Mid market rent – frequently asked questions
- What areas do you cover?
We have MMR properties in the following areas:
- Newton Mearns
Our stock of MMR homes will grow rapidly over the coming years, with several developments currently planned or under construction.
Join our mailing list to be informed when a property becomes available in your area(s) of choice.
- How are Link2Let MMR homes allocated?
We assess complete applications on a first received, first processed basis. Factors considered when allocating a property include (but are not limited to):
- Size of household – the size of your household compared to the size of the property. For example, a household of two adults and one child would be eligible to apply for a two- or three-bedroom property only.
- Housing need – your current accommodation status and suitability.
- Affordability – your ability to sustain a tenancy financially. We check this by comparing your household income to the monthly rent of the property.
- Local connections – any ties that you have to the area you are applying to live in including work, family and care support.
- References – we require a satisfactory reference from your current landlord and/or employer.
- What is included in Link2Let MMR properties?
All Link2Let MMR properties are unfurnished but come with:
- Carpet flooring throughout (vinyl flooring in kitchens and bathrooms)
- White goods – details of the white goods included can be found in the property advert
- Access to the Link Property repairs service
- Do I need to pay a deposit?
Yes, you are required to pay a security deposit and one months’ rent before the start date of your tenancy.
- What is the Private Residential Tenancy (PRT)?
The Private Resident Tenancy (PRT) was introduced by the Scottish Government as the standard tenancy agreement for private residential tenancies created on or after 1st December 2017.
The purpose of the PRT is to improve security, stability and predictability for tenants and provide safeguards for landlords. PRT tenancies are open-ended, meaning no initial fixed-term, and ‘no fault’ evictions have been abolished so tenants can only be evicted for specific wrongdoing.
PRT rent levels can only be increased once in 12 months.
The process for ending tenancies has been simplified; tenants are required to give 28 days’ notice regardless of how long they have been in the property.
Link Housing Association Limited, trading as Link2Let, is a registered company incorporated in Scotland under the Companies Acts (Company Number SC216300) and is a Registered Letting Agent under the Letting Agent Registration (Scotland) Regulations 2016 (Registration Number LARN1907019). Link2Let is governed by the Letting Agent Code of Practice.
Search for a property
Register your interest in Link2Let
Fill in our form to receive updates when Link2Let properties become available the day before they are advertised publicly on Zoopla, Citylets, s1homes and Lettingweb.
Call Link2Let on 01324 417180 or complete our online enquiry form.