Customer Enquiries: 03451 400 100
Customer Enquiries: 03451 400 100

Alterations and adaptions

We are committed to helping you stay in your own home for as long as possible.

We do this by allowing you to make certain alterations, and by carrying out adaptations where these are recommended to enable you to live more independently.

Making alterations to your home

You can make alterations and improvements to your home but we must approve these in advance. Please write to us and we will review your request.

You will need to ask permission for the following work to take place:

  • installing a shower
  • installing laminate flooring
  • replacing or moving fixtures such as lights, kitchen units, doors, taps or electric sockets
  • erecting garden sheds, fences, satellite dishes or other external structures
  • undertaking any internal or external alterations

Please note we will not allow any alterations which will affect the internal layout or structure of your home specific permission and necessary local authority Building Control consents.

If you decide to move out of your property you may be required to return it to its original condition prior to any adaptations, unless otherwise advised by Link.

If you don't, you may be liable for the cost of returning the property to its original condition.

You may have the right to a compensatory payment for any alternations or improvements you have done to your property. Please contact us to find out if the work you have done is a “qualifying improvement”.

Adapting homes for older and disabled people

We want you to live as independently and safely in your home as possible and we can help provide adaptations if you are having difficulty in managing personal or domestic tasks.

Adaptations can include:

  • grab rails and additional banisters
  • handrails
  • walk-in showers
  • wet floor shower areas
  • ramp access outside your property
  • hoists

To allow us to consider a request for an adaptation we need a referral from an Occupational Therapist or qualified expert.

Please contact your local council social work department or your GP to arrange a referral. They will arrange for an Occupational Therapist to visit you at home, where they will carry out an assessment of your needs.

For more information

For more information consult your Tenant Handbook or call the Customer Service Centre on 03451 400 100