Customer Enquiries: 03451 400 100
Customer Enquiries: 03451 400 100

Help with paying my rent

If you can’t pay your rent or you have difficulties paying, please call us straight away.

The earlier you let us know about a problem, the easier it will be for us to help. We can give you advice and make arrangements for you to pay any arrears in instalments.

If you think you should be receiving Housing Benefit, you should apply to your local council for a Housing Benefit assessment. This will look at your income and advise if you are entitled to any benefit.  If you do receive Housing Benefit, it is still your responsibility to make sure prompt payment is made to Link.

Rent arrears

If you find yourself falling behind with your rent, it’s important you work with us to deal with the situation.

We will speak to you by telephone or visit you to work out repayment options if you are experiencing difficulties.

If you don’t let us know about missed payments or don’t keep to an arrangement for paying off arrears, we may take legal action, which could lead to you losing your home

If you are in arrears

  • Don’t ignore the problem
  • Don’t ignore our letters or telephone calls regarding rent arrears
  • Don’t borrow money from door-to-door or payday lenders


  • Work with us to deal with the issue, make a repayment arrangement and stick to it

Help and advice with your arrears

If you need extra help with money matters, debts (including rent arrears) and benefit claims, our Advice team can assist.