Customer Enquiries: 03451 400 100
Customer Enquiries: 03451 400 100

Moving into your home

When you move into your new home, your Housing Officer will visit you within six weeks to see how you are getting on and to answer any questions you may have.

When you move in there are a few things you need to remember:

  • Make arrangements to pay your rent
  • Put your spare set of keys in a safe place
  • Choose and register with a gas and electricity supplier 
  • Contact your local council to register for and pay Council Tax
  • Contact your local council to make a claim for Housing Benefit and Council Tax Benefit (if applicable)
  • Choose and register with a telephone provider
  • Organise Home Contents Insurance

For more details consult your tenant handbook

Register or switch energy supplier

We work with Citrus Energy who will help you find the best energy deals and talk you through the process to switch supplier. For more information, call 0800 221 8089 or go to their website

Insure the contents of your home

We insure all of our properties but this only covers the building, fixtures and fittings, glass in windows and external doors and fixed sanitary wareIt’s your responsibility to organise Home Contents Insurance - this covers furniture, floor coverings, internal decoration and personal belongings.

We can help you obtain home contents insurance easily and at a price that is affordable.

While many people often hope that nothing will happen to their belongings, sometimes things can go wrong unexpectedly. With a special scheme arranged and administered by Thistle Tenant Risks, you can protect your belongings and gain peace of mind knowing if the unexpected happens you have cover.

For more information call Thistle Tenant Risks on 0845 601 7007 (or 01628 586187 from a mobile) or email


Read a transcript of moving into your home