Improvements and alterations

We want to make sure our properties are kept to the highest standard and your home is safe and secure for you to live in.

This is part of our commitment to ensure all of our properties meet the Scottish Housing Quality Standard – an agreed standard of good quality housing, which all local authorities and social landlords must have met by 2015 and subsequently, the Energy Efficiency Standard for Social Housing.

Planned maintenance

We carry out planned maintenance on our properties each year. This is when items such as external doors and windows, central heating systems, kitchen units and bathroom suites are replaced when they are reaching the end of their life.

We will always write to you in advance to let you know all the details if your property is due to have any planned maintenance.

We involve our tenants in any decisions which involve improvements to their homes.

Cyclical maintenance

Each year we also carry out work we consider necessary to keep our properties and equipment in good repair and working order.

This includes:

  • annual gas safety checks 
  • checking large water storage tanks regularly to minimise the risk of Legionnaires' disease
  • maintaining communal landscaped areas
  • painting external elements of Link properties

Can I make improvements to my home?

You can make alterations and improvements to your home but we must approve these in advance. Please write to us and we will review your request.

You will need to ask permission for the following work to take place:

  • installing a shower
  • installing laminate flooring
  • replacing or moving fixtures such as lights, kitchen units, doors, taps or electric sockets
  • erecting garden sheds, fences, satellite dishes or other external structures
  • undertaking any internal or external alterations

Please note we will not allow any alterations which will affect the internal layout or structure of your home without specific permission and necessary local authority Building Control consents.

If you decide to move out of your property you may be required to return it to its original condition prior to any adaptations, unless otherwise advised by Link. If you don't, you may be liable for the cost of returning the property to its original condition.

You may have the right to a compensatory payment for any alterations or improvements you have done to your property. Please contact us to find out if the work you have done is a “qualifying improvement”.

For more information

For more information consult your tenant handbook or call the Customer Service Centre on 03451 400 100.