Moving in

When you move into your new home your Housing Officer will visit you within six weeks to see how you are getting on and to answer any questions you may have.

When you move in you need to remember to:

  • Make arrangements to pay your rent – this is due on or before the 1st of the month
  • Put your spare set of keys in a safe place
  • Take meter readings and choose and register with a gas and electricity supplier 
  • Contact your local council to register for and pay Council Tax
  • Contact your local council to make a claim for Housing Benefit and Council Tax Benefit (if applicable)
  • Choose and register with a telephone provider
  • Organise Home Contents Insurance

For more information please refer to your tenant handbook

Register or switch energy supplier

We work with Citrus Energy who will help you find the best energy deals and talk you through the process to switch supplier. For more information, call 0800 221 8089 or visit their website.

Insure the contents of your home

What is home contents insurance?

Contents insurance is designed to help protect your possessions. No matter how careful you are, there’s always a risk your belongings could be broken, damaged or stolen so home contents insurance can help provide peace of mind.

Why do I need it?

We do not cover your contents as part of the tenancy agreement so it’s a good idea to consider what a home contents insurance policy would cover you for to help you decide if you need one.

How can we help?

To help you decide if home contents insurance is right for you, we have teamed up with Thistle Tenant Risks, and Allianz Insurance plc who provide the Home Contents Insurance Scheme, a specialist Tenants Contents Insurance policy.

Thistle Tenants Risks Home Contents Insurance can offer you insurance for the contents of your home including cover for items such as furniture, carpets, curtains, clothes, bedding, electrical items, jewellery, pictures and ornaments.

How do I get further information?

Thistle Tenant Risks is a trading style of Thistle Insurance Services Limited. Thistle Insurance Services Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority FRN 310419. Lloyd’s Broker. Registered in England under No. 00338645. Registered office: Rossington’s Business Park, West Carr Road, Retford, Nottinghamshire, DN22 7SW. Thistle Insurance Services Ltd is part of the PIB Group.