Moving in

When you move into your new home your housing officer will visit you within six weeks. This is to see how you are getting on.

When you move in you need to remember to:

  • Make arrangements to pay your rent – this is due on or before the 1st  of the month
  • Put your spare set of keys in a safe place
  • Take meter readings and choose and register with a gas and electricity supplier 
  • Contact your local council to register for and pay Council Tax
  • Contact your local council to make a claim for Housing Benefit and Council Tax Benefit (if applicable)
  • Choose and register with a telephone provider
  • Organise Home Contents Insurance

For more information please check your Link Tenant Handbook


Insure the contents of your home

Why do I need it?

If you are a tenant who rents, then your landlord may not cover your contents as part of the tenancy agreement. It’s a good idea to consider what a home contents insurance policy would cover you for in order to help you make an informed decision on whether you need one.

Contents insurance is designed to help protect your possessions. No matter how careful you are, there’s always a risk that your belongings could be broken, damaged or stolen so home contents insurance can help provide peace of mind.

To help you decide whether home contents insurance is right for you, Link have teamed up with Thistle Tenant Risks and Great Lakes Insurance UK Limited who provide specialist Tenants Contents Insurance policies.

This home contents insurance scheme can offer you insurance for the contents of your home including cover for items such as furniture, carpets, curtains, clothes, bedding, electrical items, jewellery, pictures and ornaments.

How do I get further information?

·     Call Thistle Tenants Risks on 0345 450 7286

·     Alternatively, please visit for more information or to request a call back.

Limits and exclusions apply. A copy of the policy wording is available on request.

Thistle Tenant Risks is a trading style of Thistle Insurance Services Limited. Thistle Insurance Services Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority Firm Reference Number 310419. Registered in England under No. 00338645. Registered office: Rossington’s Business Park, West Carr Road, Retford, Nottinghamshire, DN22 7SW. Thistle Insurance Services Ltd is part of the PIB Group.

Our Data Protection Privacy Policy is online at

It is important to protect your belongings and your Landlord suggests that you look for providers who are regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA). Thistle Insurance Services are a company that specialises in social housing contents insurance, however there are also other providers that can be found on comparison websites like Money Supermarket or Compare the Market.

Stay Connected